Denis Mukwege, this year's Sakharov Prize laureate, describes rape as “a weapon that dehumanises women". The gynaecologist has been helping the victims of sexual violence in the Democratic Republic of Congo despite threats and his family being attacked. He was honoured for his work by the European Parliament during an award ceremony on 26th November in plenary.
- Thursday, 27 November 2014 19:57
- Wednesday, 26 November 2014 14:06
"I am not African because I was born in Africa but because Africa was born in me”, said Kwame Nkrumah.
- Wednesday, 26 November 2014 10:16
UN human rights experts have called for stronger, concerted efforts to prevent and eliminate violence against internally displaced women and girls.
- Tuesday, 25 November 2014 21:49
Pope Francis has urged the European authorities to act now to stop migrant deaths in the Mediterranean Sea.
- Friday, 21 November 2014 20:46
US President Barack Obama has ordered the most sweeping overhaul of America’s immigration system to shield five million undocumented immigrants from deportation.
- Prioritize policies to secure upward mobility of immigrants, Europe told
- Brigham Young: “You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”
- Pope Francis calls for dialogue between citizens and immigrants following anti-immigrant protests in Rome
- Nelson Mandela: All of us know how stubbornly racism can cling to the mind and how deeply it can infect the human soul